Clip Art Freebies About Me Home

Thursday, January 31, 2013

DIY Hanging Collage Hearts and Freebie

As much as I enjoy "skill-linked crafts", I also love free exploration art activities with children.  There is something about "here are the supplies, and the directions, now enjoy the process" that I think is pretty fascinating to see in action.

I sent this idea to my daughter and she enjoyed the activity with my three grandchildren.  Their ages range from 9 years old to 3 years old and each of their hanging hearts turned out beautifully.  These hearts are a sure fire winner for children of all ages.  How cool would your classroom look during the month of February with these hanging from the ceiling?


Steps 1 and 2:  Gather all that scrap tissue paper, scrapbook paper, construction paper and old wrapping paper that you have laying around.  Have the children tear the paper in strips and glue them onto a piece of white construction paper.   Glue sticks are perfect for this step.  It keeps the paper from getting too "wet".  (I like to use Elmer's glue sticks- this is a project where quality glue helps).  


Steps 3 and 4:  Give the children a large heart pattern to trace.  Have them trace it on the back of the collage paper and on a piece of red construction paper.   Then have them cut out both hearts.


Steps 5 and 6:  Staple the two hearts together leaving an opening at the bottom 1/4 section of the heart.  Stuff the inside of the two hearts with 2 paper towels and finish stapling the entire heart together so that it is completely closed.


Step 7:  With a hole punch, create a hole at the top of the heart.  String the heart with a pretty ribbon.  You're now ready to hang beautiful, unique hearts from your classroom ceiling.


Here's a fun little freebie Valentine roll and cover game.  It's from my $1.00 Valentine Roll and Cover games packet.  The packet contains 3 single die Roll and Cover games and 3 double dice Roll and Cover games.  Click on the picture below to download this game board.
Click on game board to down load.
P.S.  Don't forget Sunday Super Sale on TpT.  It's a real bargain.  Anything I sell that is priced at more than a dollar will be 28% off. Click on the image below to see my sales.



Have a great weekend!
Granny (Cindy) 

Freebie Fridays



19 comments:

  1. Cindy! I love this craft!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's great! Something different than the typical construction paper patterns! :)

    Great lil game, too! Thanks!

    Megan
    Mrs. Wheeler’s First Grade
    Mrs. Wheeler TpT

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you like it. There is something about those free expression projects that I just love.

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. The hearts are gorgeous! THank you for the roll and cover game...love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome! Hope you have a chance to make the hearts.

      Delete
  4. I love a good "go for it" craft. It allows for so much creativity to shine through.

    Dawn
    Adventures in First with Mrs. Key

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree. The create experience is wonderful and all the products are engaging to the eye.

      Delete
  5. I really like that heart collage. I'm going to pin that.
    Thanks also for the game, Cindy.
    ❀Barbara❀
    Grade ONEderful
    Ruby Slippers Blog Designs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for pinning the heart. I consider that a real complement as you are so artistic!

      Delete
  6. P.S. I love this so much, I am shouting it out tonight on my "Five for Friday" post. So cute!!!

    Megan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your craft idea! :) Thanks for the cute freebie Cindy, have a good weekend!

    ~Jessica
    Fun in PreK-1

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am delighted you like. It's a great project for PreK-1s.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a cute heart craft!
    Kate
    htt://funinecse.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Soooo creative! I'm featuring this post on Bagels and Blogs tomorrow. :)

    Donna
    Math Coach’s Corner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a MILLION... I love Bagels and Blogs and am thrilled you'll be featuring this project!

      Cindy

      Delete
  11. I love the collage hearts - I need a Valentine's Day project and we're going to try these out. So cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I do hope all your kiddos enjoy making these hearts!
      Cindy

      Delete
  12. Awww, that craft is so cute!! Thank you for sharing it and the freebie!!

    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
  13. Enjoying your blog! Hope that you will check mine out as well, I'm currently having a giveaway... you should enter!

    http://bigcityteacher.blogspot.com/2013/02/first-giveaway.html


    Martha :)

    ReplyDelete