Clip Art Freebies About Me Home

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Pumpkin Art and a Math Freebie

Just had to share this great little project that my daughter and grand kids worked on last week.  The idea came from That Artist Woman.

The best part of this project is that it's so versatile.  All three of my grand kids made one (ages 9, 7, and 3) and all three turned out darling.  Age doesn't seem to matter with this project.
Step 1: They used white card stock and masking tape to fill the entire
paper.  Strips could be any length.  They tried to tear the tape jagged to
add more dimension.

Step 2: Each child painted the entire paper orange and let it dry.
They used acrylic paint (didn't know how washable tempera paint
would work on the tape).
 Step 3: Each child had a small separate piece of paper with a small dot
of green acrylic paint.  They used the "fork" technique to create fun
funky lines in the stem.

Step 4: The kids drew their own pumpkins on the BACKSIDE of the paper
and cut them out.  They did the same thing with the stem and glued it to
the pumpkin.

Step 5: They used a circle paper punch for the whites of the eyes, black
buttons as well as cut out a mouth and teeth to embellish the pumpkin.

Love how they all turned out quite unique. (Original source is That Artist Woman) 

Since we're doing pumpkins this week I created these fun "Pumpkin Line Up" math sheets.  The file contains pumpkin line up (and witch line up)  for counting by 1's, 2's, 5's, 10's and 100's.  Great for differentiated learning opportunities in the classroom. Click here to down load the entire file (10 pages).
Pumpkin Line Up by 1's

Pumpkin Line Up by 5"s
(Graphics by Scrappin Doodles) 
Have a great rest of the week.
Granny (Cindy)
Freebie Fridays

5 comments:

  1. Fun! I made something like those with my kids last year and am hoping to do them again this year! I feel like time is lacking for anything artsy this year!!!! Cute freebies! Thanks! P.S. Did you get my email? I sent it from my phone.

    Megan
    Mrs. Wheeler’s First Grade
    Mrs. Wheeler TpT

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pumpkins-both the art and your freebies! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the step by step! Thank you! I'm a follower and am linked up, too!
    Irene
    Learning With Mrs. Leeby

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much! I love the idea of placing tape under the paint to give the finished pumpkin some texture!! I have used the crafter's white crayons in the past, which works will with acrylic paint, but not tempera paints. I love getting new artsy ideas...I think I will experiment today while my kids make "crashed" witches for our front door! hahaha

    I also want to say that I opened up my email this morning and read your comment. I was completely brought to tears!! You are so incredibly thoughtful and I can't even tell you how special you made my day!!! Thank you so very much!!

    Michelle
    The 3AM Teacher
    Visit My Blog
    Email The 3AM Teacher
    Visit My FB Page

    ReplyDelete