I know, it doesn't have the "charm" of Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc. It's still a very important learning opportunity for our little ones. Even our younger students can learn to appreciate that we enjoy the freedoms we do, because men and women throughout the years have made big sacrifices.
Here are some age-appropriate books that help explain Veterans Day in a way that our younger students can understand.
Veterans Day by Jacqueline Cotton
Veterans Day by Rebecca Rissman
Veterans Day by Robin Nelson
The Wall by Eve Bunting
I have created a Veterans Day packet with fun activities and a craftivity to help students support the celebration of the day.
The packet includes:
- Simple facts about Veterans Day
- Book suggestions
- Craftivity (male and female veterans)
- Prompt: "Veterans are... "
- Read It, Write It, Draw It- activity sheet
- Can, Have , Are - activity sheet
- Can, Have, Need - activity sheet
- What ________ Knows About Veterans Day - activity sheet
- Write a letter to a Veteran- activity
- A, B, C Order - activity sheet
- Four in a Row reading game
- Label it - activity sheet
- Move and Make Words - activity sheet
- Craftivity directions and pattern pieces
Here's an activity from the packet. Click here to download this freebie.
Have a great week.